5 Quick & Easy Ways to Get Over Your Post-Lunch Slump
If you find yourself feeling far from productive after your afternoon meal, you’re definitely not alone. Hitting a bit of a wall after your lunch break is not only normal, it’s a natural part of being a human being.
A dip in energy levels happens to all of us right around seven hours after we wake up, and this causes us to long for a return to our beds to grab some afternoon shuteye. Add a carb-heavy lunch on top of sitting immobile at your desk to the innate need for a siesta and you have a serious post-lunch slump.
But what if you’re like most of the rest of us, and you simply can’t just leave your post and crawl back in between the sheets? If a nap is out, you need a quick and easy way to boost your declining energy levels and make the most of the rest of your work day. That’s where the following simple strategies come into play.
1. Have an Invigorating Snack: The purest and most basic form of energy for all of us is food, so it just makes sense that eating a quick snack will give you a little boost when you need it most. Just make sure to stay away from the vending machine! Instead, go for something that’s not only filling but also healthy. Look for a snack that offers both protein and complex carbohydrates, both of which help you to digest faster, giving you instant energy that should stick with you until dinner time. Think raw veggies like carrots and celery sticks, cheese cubes, a whole-grain cereal bar, or apple slices with peanut butter.
2. Skip the After Lunch Coffee Break: Grabbing a quick latte might seem like the simplest fix for dragging through the afternoon, but you’ll end paying for it later when your after lunch caffeine fix has you missing out on sleep later in the evening. Try having a cup of green tea instead – it has lower levels of caffeine and is full of antioxidants.
3. Keep Your Water Bottle Full: Although many people don’t know it, dehydration can cause you to feel more sluggish than you rightfully should. Combat this problem by keeping a large jug of ice water at your desk, and be sure to refill it in the afternoon to help you climb out on top of that after lunch wall that you’ve run into.
4. Grab Some Sunlight: One of the best sources of natural energy is a little bit of natural light. Go for a quick walk outside in the afternoon to give you a boost. Not only will you feel more alert from your exposure to sunlight, getting up and moving around will get your heart pumping, giving you an added pep in your step.
5. Try Tricking Yourself: If all else fails, try bringing your body back to its morning vitality by recreating some of your pre-work routines. Wash your face, brush your teeth, or even change your shirt. You can also try keeping a collection of energizing essential oils at your desk and giving them a sniff. Citrus, peppermint, eucalyptus, and rosemary are all scents that will give you the boost of energy that you need.
The next time you’re feeling a dip in your energy reserves after lunch, give these tips a try. You might just be amazed by how much you can get accomplished in the afternoon when you’re combating the post-lunch slump with some fast and simple strategies.